> CHROMIUM FREE CONVERSION BEFORE PAINTING OF METAL ALLOYS
SOCOGEL B0202 is a sol-gel developed from a technology licensed by BOEING.
Solgel conversion products are aqueous solutions of zirconium salts, activated by an organo-silicon compound. After application, the Solgel solution forms a high performance hybrid coating, which enhances the adhesion of paint systems on metals and alloys such as Aluminium, Titanium, Stainless Steel,
SOCOGEL B0202 performances comply with current aeronautical requirements and are an interesting alternative to chromate conversion technologies that are recognised as highly harmful for workers (classification R45: may cause cancer) which generate increasing waste treatment costs (baths, effluents). SOCOGEL B0202 use is also more economical in terms of operating costs and effluent treatment, because no rinsing is required after application.
SOCOGEL B0202 is available in the form of 2 component kits, in a colourless version (SOCOGEL B0202) or blue one (SOCOGEL B0202 Blue) used to visualise the product when applied.
This coating technology is covered by one or more of the following patents:
6,077,885 - 5,866,652 – 792922 - 2,198,548 - 5,939,197 - 5,849,110 - 5,814,137 - 5,869,141 - 5,789,085 - 5,869,140 - 7,001,666 - 6,605,365 - 6,770,371 - 5,958,578 - 6,037,060 - US20040099183
- efficacious alternative to chromate conversions
- based on Boeing patented technology
- respect the environment as it is a no rinsing product
SOCOGEL B0202 is a chromium free conversion product. The adhesion of primers and epoxy based paints on metallic surfaces are significantly increased. These coatings could be water or solvent-based, high solids content primers or paints...
This conversion is compatible with composite materials.
SOCOGEL B0202 is designed for surface preparation prior to painting on basic parts, sub-units, or complete aircraft. It is designed for OEM and for MRO during airframe maintenance operations.
- BOEING : BMS 10-128 rev ORG Type 1 Grade A - Class A (SOCOGEL B0202) / Class B (SOCOGEL B0202 Blue) (conform)
- DASSAULT AVIATION : DGT 345929
- Two-component product : one part C and one part G (colourless version) or E (blue version)
- Dispense Part C into part G (colourless version) or in Part E (blue version).
- Depending on the kit size, mix or shake thoroughly for a minimum of 30 seconds. (for kits exceeding 1 litre, use a clean mixer).
- Allow the solution to induct for a minimum of 30 minutes. Remix prior to application.
WARNING! the two parts must be free of precipitates. If not, the material must be rejected. The original packaging must be perfectly closed. SOCOGEL B0202 is a two-component product with a limited shelf life. These are single-use kits.
SOCOGEL B0202 must be applied on a surface that has been perfectly degreased and deoxidised, either chemically, mechanically or by manual sanding to give a water break-free surface).
SOCOGEL B0202 can be applied by spraying, brushing or by dipping.
Note: Apply SOCOGEL B0202 within 24 hours of deoxidsing. Protect coated surface from contamination if the primer or paint is not applied straight after the SOCOGEL treatment.
By spraying: Spray the product (preferably HVLP) onto the surface until it is completely wetted, but without product flowing. An uneven drainage may result in non-uniform appearance. Apply the SOCOGEL solution so that the surface remains wet for about two minutes. Remove excess solution where it becomes trapped such as along drip edges. Blot or sponge excess solution so as to leave a thin, wet film on the part surface. Allow to dry for 1 hour minimum before applying the primer/paint system. The drying time may be reduced by forced air heating at 60°C (120°F) for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Appearance : slightly coloured after mixing (or blue for SOCOGEL B0202 Blue)
- Induction time : 30 minutes
- Pot life of the product after induction : 24 hours (max) after mixing
- Covering power : 30 m²/litre
- Freezing point : -24°C/-11°F