Description of SOCOGEL B0102
Pre-bond surface preparation sol-gel. Improves adhesion of aerospace adhesive bonds and paint on metallic and composite surfaces.
SOCOGEL B0102 is a sol-gel using a technology licensed by BOEING.
Solgel conversion products are aqueous solutions of zirconium salts activated by an organo-silicon compound, they are particularly effective for surface preparation prior to adhesive bonding. After application and curing the Solgel solution forms a high performance hybrid coating enhancing the adhesion of bonding systems on metals and alloys such as Aluminium, Titanium and Stainless Steel.
SOCOGEL B0102 performances comply with current aeronautical requirements and are an interesting alternative to anodizing technologies (chromic, sulphuric…) that are recognised as highly harmful for workers (classification R45: may cause cancer) and which generate increasing waste treatment costs (baths, effluents).
SOCOGEL B0102 is more economical in terms of operating costs and effluent treatment. No rinsing is required after application. The product can be dried at ambient temperature.SOCOGEL B0102 is available in the form of 2 component kits, in a colourless version.
This coating technology is covered by one or more of the following patents:6,077,885 – 5,866,652 – 792922 – 2,198,548 – 5,939,197 – 5,849,110 – 5,814,137 – 5,869,141 – 5,789,085 – 5,869,140 – 7,001,666 – 6,605,365 – 6,770,371 – 5,958,578 – 6,037,060 – US20040099183.
SOCOGEL B0102 is designed for surface preparation prior to bonding. It provides high adhesion properties to all types of adhesives on metallic surfaces as well as on composite materials.
SOCOGEL B0102 can be applied on basic parts, sub-units, or complete aircraft. It is designed for OEM and for MRO during airframe maintenance operations.
Store in original closed packaging below 40 °C/104 °F.
The kits must be used in a single operation. Do not use previously opened units.
Shelf life: 12 months from date of packaging. The best before date is written on the product label by “use before”.
In confined spaces, appropriate ventilation and personal protective equipment are recommended.
For more information regarding the danger of the product, please consult the product safety data sheet according to local regulation. For industrial use only.
Directions for use
• Two component product : one part C and one part G.
• Dispense Part C into part G.
• Depending on the kit size, mix or shake thoroughly for a minimum of 30 seconds. (for kits exceeding 1 litre, use a clean mixer).
• Allow the solution to induct for a minimum of 30 minutes. Remix prior to application.
WARNING! the two parts must be free of precipitates. If not, the material must be rejected. The original packaging must be perfectly closed. SOCOGEL B0102 is a two-component product with a limited shelf life. These are single-use kits.
SOCOGEL B0102 must be applied on a surface that has been perfectly degreased and deoxidised to be water break-free, either chemically, mechanically or by manual sanding. The manual deoxidation can be carried out by stripping, abrasive paper grade 180 or more, or with a Scotch Brite.
SOCOGEL B0102 can be applied by spraying, brushing or by dipping.
Note : Apply SOCOGEL B0102 within 24 hours of deoxidising. Protect coated surface from contamination if the bonding operation is not done straight after the SOCOGEL treatment process is finished.
• Spray the product onto the surface until it is completely wetted, but without product flowing. An uneven drainage may result in non-uniform appearance.
• Apply so that the surface remains wet with the SOCOGEL solution for about two minutes.
• Remove excess solution where it becomes trapped such as along drip edges. Blot or sponge excess solution so as to leave a thin, wet film on the part surface.
• Allow to dry for 1 hour minimum before applying the adhesive. The drying time may be reduced by forced air heating at 60 °C (120 °F) for about 10 to 15 minutes.