Description of LA-1
MANUFACTURER : SHERWIN (USA) / NDT EUROPA (NL)
- Compatible with all metals
- Produces very little foam
- Operates at low temperatures
- Not flammable
- Can serve as an alternative for vapour phase degreasing
The LA-1 degreasing agent has been designed specially for cleaning parts before subjecting them to penetrant testing. It is a cleaning agent compatible with penetrants.
LA-1 degreaser agent may serve as an alternative for chlorinated solvents in vapor phase to prepare parts just before their being penetrant testing.
LA-1 is a light yellow liquid. It can be used on all metals, whether ferrous or non-ferrous, including aluminum, magnesium, nickel and titanium alloys.
It eliminates light oils such as cutting or forming oils, most light rust preventatives, and organic soils accumulated during part manufacturing. When used as a spray or for immersion with agitation, it removes grit and chips. It does not remove mineral soils such as corrosion products. LA-1 therefore fulfils the functions of a degreasing agent in the vapour phase. It can also remove metallic and sand particles if used appropriately.
LA-1 complies with the most common requirements in terms of non-toxicity and non-corrosion, ignition point, and other parameters. It is non toxic in accordance with applicable classifications. It contains no sodium, sulphur, chlorine, fluorine, nitrites, nor chromates, and does not corrode titanium alloys.While having been designed primarily for use before penetrant testing, LA-1 is an excellent all purpose alkali detergent for parts subject to medium organic matter pollution.
Before penetrant testing, you must:
- Perfectly clean the surface of the part and the inside of the discontinuities from pollutants
- Ensure that degreasing product leaves no residue.
Actually, a number of alkali detergents leave a very hard deposit that adheres strongly to the parts after rinsing; this is obviously a situation which is incompatible with further penetrant testing. LA-1 has been actually designed so as not to leave any traces on parts.
- Penetrant compatible
- Compatible with all metals, including aluminum, magnesium, nickel and titanium alloys.
- No chromate, chlorine, sulphur, or sodium salts.
- Low foaming.
- Free rinsing.
- Can be used with air or mechanical agitation.
- Effective at low concentrations.
- Lower materials costs compared to vapour degreasing.